Monday, December 10, 2012

Taliban Suicide Bombing of Pakistani Police Station Kills 8, Said To Be Retaliation for Drone Strike

The Taliban in Pakistan, upset over one of the nephews of a Taliban leader being killed by a U.S. drone strike, sent two suicide bombers into a police station in Bannu who then blew themselves up killing eight people including three police officers.

At last report, the bombing of the police station did NOT bring back the Taliban leader's nephew.  LOL.

The story comes from DAWN.

TTP claims responsibility for attack on Bannu police station

BANNU: Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) spokesman Ehsanullah Ehsan while talking to’s correspondent accepted responsibility for today’s attack on Kaki police station near Bannu, which killed eight people and injured six others.

The TTP spokesman said that two suicide bombers were sent to carry out the mission adding that the attack was carried out in retaliation to the recent killing of Ibrahim Mehsud, a nephew of former TTP chief Baitullah Mehsud who was killed in a US drone strike in August 2009.

Both the bombers reportedly blew themselves up during the attack.

DPO Bannu, Nisar Tanoli confirmed that three police officials were killed whereas two civilians and an off-duty serving armyman who were offering Fajr prayers in the mosque inside the compound were also killed in the attack. He further added that six people were injured in the attack.

Militants attacked Kaki police station, 15 kilometres south of Bannu, injuring two policemen including the Station House Officer (SHO) in an exchange of fire during the early hours of Monday.

According to sources Army arrived at the site of attack and surrounded the area whereas local villagers also supported the security personnel during the clash.

Hospital sources confirmed receiving six bodies and several injured, including the SHO of Kaki police station.

While talking to’s correspondent, security sources said that two militants blew themselves up inside the police station whereas three local civilians aiding the security forces were killed during the clash.

The militants were holed up in a mosque inside the police station compound, enabling the attackers to resist the security forces and to prolong the gun-battle for three hours.

No comments: